It’s June and farmer’s markets all across the country are in full swing every weekend.
Farmers have worked all season to bring you the freshest produce at reasonable prices. If you’ve never shopped at a farmer’s market here’s a few tips.
- Get there early so that you can have first pick of everything
- Bring your own canvas tote bags for easy carrying
- Bring cash as many vendors may not take credit or checks
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions and get to know the farmers
Fresh fruits and vegetables have a short self life so have a plan for how you can use them during the week so that you don’t have to toss spoiled produce. Also consider freezing fruits for later use in smoothies and desserts.
Things You Can Do Today
- Visit the USDA‘s website and search for the farmer’s markets near you. http://search.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/
- Buy a vegetarian cookbook and learn how to prepare new dishes that can be eaten alone or served as a side with meat dishes.
- Plan your grocery shopping around going to the farmer’s market once a week for all of your produce.
Remember you are what you eat and so the more nutritious foods you consume the more energy you’ll have for life’s daily activities and recreation. Weight management become a breeze once you establish a solid base of nutrition.
Until Next Week,
Nicole D. P. McLaughlin, P.T.
- Tips For Making the Farmers Market the Only Place You Shop (thekitchn.com)
- Farmers’ markets! (peachysmiles.wordpress.com)