We are coming to the end of another month and some of you are reaching your goals. Let me start by saying congratulations on achieving your ideal weight or dress size. You’re thinking now that I’ve done it, now what? After working for months and denying yourself things you may feel as if you no longer have a mission in life. The mission now, is to maintain what you’ve worked so hard to obtain. I want to share briefly in this post about dressing the new you.
The clothes in your closet can become a comfort zone. You know how they will fit you and you like the way you feel in them. But now that you’ve dropped the weight, they don’t fit so well anymore. Ironically, you may still find comfort in them. There may also be some fear about trashing them. The tendency is to hold on to them just in case you need them again, six months to a year from now. If you continue to think and behave as if you will one day regain the weight, guess what? You will do just that.
Here are some ways to ensure that you don’t gain the weight back.
- Purge your closet of any clothes that no longer fit. Especially those that are now too big.
- Invest in a minimal wardrobe of clothes that fit your new body and new shape. They should fit comfortably with room to move around. Clothes that are too tight will make you feel fat.
- Set a new goal every six months to either maintain or lose more depending on if your current weight is healthy or not.
- Stop using any “big girl” nick names that you may have come to embrace over the years. You are no longer two tons of fun or a big beautiful woman.
Believe it or not, changing your mind is what started you down this road to transformation. The only thing that will keep you moving in the right direction will be to continually renew your mind concerning your health, weight, size, and body image. A big factor in whether you continue to succeed will be how well you adapt to the new image of yourself in the mirror. It’s time to sing a new song and tell yourself some new and amazing stories about yourself.
The Little Things You Can Do Today
- Clean out your closet and donate your old clothing to a worthy charity, take them to a consignment shop, or have a yard sale.
- Buy a sun dress, mini skirt, bikini, a thong or some other item of clothing that you never thought you could own.
- Take lots of pictures of yourself in your new body. Be proud and never hide from the camera again.
- Enjoy how you feel and promise yourself that you will do whatever it takes to maintain it.
- If you now want to build muscle or improve your strength then make a plan today to work with a trainer or a knowledgable friend and start today.
Until Next Week,
Nicole D. P. McLaughlin, P.T.