It’s Labor Day and out of all of the National Holidays, it’s the one that celebrates the American worker. All of those who labor to make this nation great and earn wages that provide for their family, are given a break today. For those of you who are working to manage your weight or build your endurance. You may be tempted to let it all hang out today. But let me encourage you to rest without setting yourself back a few months in one meal. The gyms and walking trails will be empty this morning. So go ahead and get in your workout. You can cut it in half and go easy today. Remember doing something is better than nothing. A brief workout in the morning will get your metabolism going and allow you to cheat a little at the barbeque later this afternoon.
Resting from the daily stress of living and working 9-5 is good for your health. Here’s a few ideas for a restful Labor Day:
- Have your spouse give you a good foot massage today.
- Stay close to home today and save any errands for another day.
- Spend time with loved ones or catch up with them on the phone.
- If attending a celebration, enjoy, but consider leaving early to spend some quality time with your family at home.
The Little Things You Can Do Today
- Learn to meditate so that you can be in a restful state everyday.
- Make appointments for monthly pampering to keep stress at bay.
- Use mental health days when you need them to avoid burnout.
Until Next Week,
Nicole D.P. McLaughlin, PT